Nominations for the Holberg Prize
The Holberg Prize is an international prize awarded annually for outstanding contributions to research in the humanities, social sciences, law and theology.
The Holberg Prize was established by the Norwegian Parliament in 2003 and is awarded annually to a scholar who has made outstanding contributions to research in the humanities, social sciences, law or theology. The Prize may be awarded both for work within a particular academic discipline and for work of a cross-disciplinary nature. The recipient must have had a decisive influence on international research.
The Prize is worth NOK 6,000,000 (approximately EUR 600,000 / USD 650,000).
The nomination deadline is 15 June each year. The deadline for 2024 has now passed, but we are receiving nominations for the 2025 Holberg Prize.
Scholars holding positions at universities, academies and other research institutions, are entitled to nominate candidates for the Holberg Prize. We ask that all nominations are submitted in the online nomination form.
Please read through the requirements listed below before submitting your nomination. All text and attachments must be written in English. In the online nomination form we ask that you provide the following:
- A short statement of 1000-3000 characters (incl. spaces), explaining why the candidate should receive the Holberg Prize.
- The candidate’s CV and publication list.
- Names of three possible referees who know the candidate's work and who can provide additional information if needed.
Please also note the following restrictions:
- Groups or organisations may not be nominated.
- Self-nominations and post-humous nominations are not accepted.
- Joint nominations do not strengthen a candidacy.
- Nominations are strictly confidential and should not be disclosed to the nominee or to others at any time.
The Holberg Board awards the Prize at the recommendation of the Holberg Committee, which consists of internationally renowned scholars in the relevant research fields. The Holberg Prize Laureate will be announced in March, and the Award Ceremony takes place in Bergen, Norway, in the first week of June.
If you have any questions or should experience technical difficulties with the nomination form, please contact email@example.com.