Nominations for the Nils Klim Prize
The Nils Klim Prize is awarded annually to a scholar under the age of 35, for outstanding contributions to research in the humanities, social sciences, law or theology. The candidate must be a citizen of a Nordic country or be formally affiliated with a Nordic research institution. The nomination deadline is 15 June each year.
The Nils Klim Prize was established by the Norwegian Parliament in 2003 and is awarded annually to a scholar under the age of 35, from/in a Nordic country, for outstanding contributions to research in the humanities, social sciences, law or theology, either in one of these academic fields or through interdisciplinary work.
The scholar’s ability to be original and innovative is highly emphasised. The academic committee that considers the nominations will also take into account whether the research contribution is especially outstanding or promising in light of the scholar’s age, the nature of the research project, and traditions in the researcher’s academic field.
The Nils Klim Prize is worth NOK 500,000 (approximately EUR 50,000).
Scholars holding positions at universities, academies or other research institutions may nominate candidates for the Nils Klim Prize by 15 June each year. We ask that nominators use the online nomination form. In the form you will be asked to submit the following material for the Nils Klim Committee to assess:
- A nomination letter of 1000-3000 characters (incl. spaces) written in English, stating why the candidate should receive the Prize.
- An updated and properly finalized C.V. and publication list for the candidate.
- Writing samples from the nominated candidate’s list of publications (maximum five carefully selected works); no entire books/dissertations should be submitted, but rather excepts of books, including a list of contents and references.
- Please note that only documents written in either English or a Nordic language will be part of the candidate evaluation.
Please also note the following restrictions and terms:
- Candidates must be under the age of 35 when the nomination deadline expires. Time spent on parental leave and sick leave can be deducted. Please note that the nominator is not required to provide sensitive information about the candidates, such as medical records or documentation regarding personal life. In cases of doubt, the secretariat will be responsible for obtaining the necessary information.
- The candidate must be a citizen of a Nordic country or be formally affiliated with a Nordic research institution.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nominations are strictly confidential and should not be disclosed to the nominee or to others at any time.
The nomination form
The nomination form for the 2023 Nils Klim Prize is now open. The deadline is 15 June, 2022.
The Prize is awarded by the Holberg Board at the recommendation of the Nils Klim Committee, which consists of renowned Nordic scholars in the relevant research fields. The Laureate will be announced in March 2021, and the award ceremony will take place in Bergen, Norway during the Holberg Week, early June the same year.
If you have any questions or experience technical difficulties with the nomination form, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org